In 2018, NASADAD developed a timeline of the State Targeted Response to the Opioid Crisis (STR) and State Opioid Response (SOR) grant programs. The timeline outlines key dates, such as: when grants were authorized; when Congress appropriated funds; when funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) were released; funding award periods for States for each of the grant programs; and more. NASADAD has updated the timeline to reflect two recent developments:
- In December 2019, Congress appropriated level funding of $1.5 billion for the State Opioid Response (SOR) grant program, and noted that “stimulant abuse” would be an allowable use of SOR funds in FY 2020.
- In February 2020, the Administration released its proposed budget for FY 2021 and included a request of $1.585 billion for SOR, an increase of $85 million compared to FY 2020.
Access the updated STR/SOR timeline here.
On February 10, 2020, the Administration released “A Budget for America’s Future,” its budget proposal for fiscal year (FY) 2021 (October 1, 2020-September 30, 2021). NASADAD developed an overview of the Administration’s proposed funding levels for the Association’s priority programs within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), as well as select programs within the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP). The document compares the President’s FY 2021 proposal to the final FY 2020 funding levels and provides language from the Administration’s Congressional Justifications.
Access the chart here
NASADAD is pleased to announce the release of an Overview of and Recommendations Regarding Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS). The overview:
- Offers background on e-cigarettes and reviews the scope of the problem, especially among youth;
- Outlines federal actions over the past several years, including recent steps to raise the minimum age of legal tobacco product access to 21;
- Describes the Food & Drug Administration’s (FDA) role in regulating the sale of tobacco products;
- Describes the State alcohol & drug agencies’ role in tobacco control, with a particular focus on Synar; and
- Offers NASADAD’s position and recommendations related to ENDS.