NASADAD is pleased to announce the release of a new resource, “An Overview of the Synar Provision: History, Impact of Tobacco 21 Legislation, and Recommendations.” This document offers background on Synar; a description of the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) role in tobacco control; a review of the federal legislation that raised the minimum age of legal tobacco access to 21; the impact of the legislation on Synar; and implementation efforts in 2020, including those related to COVID-19.
NASADAD is pleased to announce the release of an updated Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment (SAPT) Block Grant fact sheet. This updated version of the fact sheet includes the following:
- An overview of the SAPT Block Grant
- Positive outcomes of the Block Grant (i.e., abstinence from alcohol/drug use, stable housing, no arrests)
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on SUDs
- Review of the latest COVID-19 relief package, which included $1.65 billion in supplemental funding for the SAPT Block Grant
- A description of why multi-year investments in the SAPT Block Grant is beneficial to States, providers, and individuals with SUDs
- Recent data on the financial burden of SUDs and cost-effectiveness of investing in the SAPT Block Grant
- A description of the prevention set-aside
- Overview of the Block Grant’s role in bolstering recovery support services
- Description of the role of the State Alcohol & Drug Agency
On December 21, 2020, Congress passed a final FY 2021 appropriations deal. This document outlines the final funding levels for NASADAD’s priority programs within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the Department of Justice (DOJ), and the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), including language from the Administration’s Congressional Justifications, as well as the House and Senate Appropriations Committees’ bill reports and final appropriations bill reports.